Double gold show-off braai salad
YUM YUM YUM! This salad is just delicious!
With a variety of textures and tastes (sweet, crunchy, salty, rubbery, soft and squishy), it’s perfect for a weekend lunch (add some crispy bread), as a side salad to corn fritters (previous recipe) and it makes a fabulous show-off braai salad!Both the mealies and peppers can be blistered on the braai-minimising your work in the kitchen and the salad dressing has only two ingredients.
HALLOUMI, CORN AND RED PEPPER SALAD
2 Red peppers
4 Mealies/sweet corn on the cobs*
Extra- virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
Double gold reduction (this is a reduced wine flavoured balsamic reduction) *
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 small tub Meze halloumi fingers
Rocket or salad leaves for the base
- Blister the red peppers on the braai or on a gas hob and when black all over place in a sealed plastic packet to sweat *
- Char the corn lightly on the flame then slice the kernels off the cob
- Remove the skin from the peppers and roughly chop the flesh with the Italian parsley
- Add enough olive oil and Double Gold reduction to the peppers to create a dressing
- Place the rocket on a salad platter. Drizzle the corn over and place the red pepper with dressing on top
- Place the halloumi on a non- stick mat, drizzle or spray with olive oil and place until a grill until soft. Alternatively fry in a pan.
- Place on top of salad and serve immediately
- If you do not have a gas hob, then A) blister the peppers under a grill for about 30 minutes turning often. B) Remove the kernels from the cobs and then toss in a pan in some olive oil to cook lightly.
- Pomegranate, verjuice or balsamic reduction can be used for the peppers. Various flavours are available from the Gourmet Market at Lifestyle
- Use Woolworth’s mealies/corn. They are super sweet and crunchy and need no pre-cooking.